Glory and Gravity

Saturday, May 14, 2005

2nd Timothy 1:3-4 (Pt 1) - The Joy of Comforting Others

This is my second post in a series on the book of 2nd Timothy. This is part one of this passage review, we will look at the other themes and ideas in these verses in my next entry. I will be more diligent to add to this several times a week.

2nd Timothy 3:1-4

3I thank God whom I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience, as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. 4As I remember your tears, I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy.


As I look at my own life and the life of others I notice that we are a people whose happiness lies in everything other than what it should. We are continually guaging our joy and happiness by many wordly standards. We look to money, jobs, success and entertainment to provide us with the joy that we lack. The Apostle Paul was a very different person. He didnt look to the world to satisfy his vacancies. He didnt need an abundance of things. Paul says in Philippians 4:11-14 11Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Paul didnt latch on to wealth or health or even his own life to be happy. There were other deeper more precious things that brought him joy.

Paul knows that life in the ministry is hard, life as christian, infact this whole letter is designed to encourage Timothy in his faith. And Paul knows that the christian life is not without tears. There are many who would say outherwise. There are many "types" of Christianity that are all about escaping the pain. Christianity is all about loving through the pain and enduring it. Romans 8:35-39 ; 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36As it is written, "For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered."
37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. .
Point of that verse is being a christian means enduring through those things not escaping them. This is a life of pain and suffering, infact Hebrews says those who suffer much, the world is not worthy of them. Many these days would say Christ delivers us from all pain and suffering and poverty. That is not in the bible.

Paul knows Timothy cries. He has seen Timothy weep, probably over lost souls and a diffucult ministry. Paul longs to see him. I think Paul wants to see him so that he can put his arm around Timothy and say "Psalm 126:6 He who goes out weeping,bearing the seed for sowing,shall come home with shouts of joy,bringing his sheaves with him. or maybe even Psalm 30:5 Weeping may tarry for the night,but joy comes with the morning. Remember Timothy is like a son to Paul. Paul doesnt want Timothy to feel sad, he loves him dearly. Paul wants to be with him in his time of need. And to do this will bring Paul much joy. There is great joy in the comforting of others.

Let us rejoice in the ability to comfort others and help them when they need it. Satisfication is offered by many things but only a few things yield. Let us pour our lives out for the comforting of others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home