Glory and Gravity

Sunday, May 22, 2005

2 Timothy 1:5-7 Oh Timothy, Be Bold

2 Timothy 1:5-7
5I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. 6For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, 7for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.


One thing that we as Christians lack is boldness of faith. All too often I find myself backing down or not stepping up to the plate and going to bat for Christ. This is not an uncommon problem. Paul knows it and he knows Timothy will experience situations that we all might. People can poke fun, maybe even persecute us. Jokes will be made, mocking may happen. Regardless of these things Paul reminds us to be bold. The solution of boldness is to keep Christ at the forefront of our mind. Paul knows Timothy has saving faith, he is sure of it. However the flame of continual faith can flicker. We all go through times where our faith doesnt seem as strong as it ought. Paul says that we must fan into flame the gift of God. In this case I believe the gift of God is not Timothy's salvation but his gift of teaching. Timothy had been left in charge of the Church at Ephesus (1 Tim 1:3). He was to teach the church properly and acurately. No doubt he had come across many who didnt want to hear the truth. So Paul reminds him to fan into flame the gift (teaching). Meaning keep teaching, make it your passion, do it with all your might!! Why? How can he do this in the face of such opposition. Because God didnt give us a spirit of fear (or timidity) but of power and love and self control. How does power, love, and self control promote boldness. I think power shows "I have the answer, I know the truth." Things can change. I hold the most powerful thing in the world, God's word. Love I think emboldens because it shows what is at stake if Timothy becomes timid. Many will be lost. More will be handed over to Satan. Souls are at stake. The same is true with us. If we would let love rule in us we wouldnt worry about ourselves because the love for others would outweigh any negative thing that might befall us. Finally, self control. Self control was tough for me to see how that affected our ability to be bold. I think it works like this. I have the ability to not be concerned about my physical-well being. While the world thinks only of oneself, how to survive, get ahead, escape pain, We have the control to not give into that desire. We are self-controlled (by the spirit) to not give into carnal desires. Therefore my boldness is strengthened because I dont have to give into my sinful wants. I can resist them and turn toward Christ.

Boldness isnt just for Timothy, and it is more radical than we have seen, but we will soon see the extend that God wants us to take this. Being a Christian might cost us our lives. Will we do it?

1 Comments:

  • At August 17, 2005 11:00 AM, Blogger Jarrett said…

    Ben,
    I will contact you as soon as I get a chance. I'm at work at the moment so I can't take too much time to response. I will say the Master's is awesome!! I'll tell you more soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home